Why are you in College? 5 ways to help you find why

I can honestly say one of the biggest things I looked forward to when heading off to college was the possibility of meeting my future husband. Yep. Well if you have been reading my blogs you already know,  I, the author have had a desire for marriage since I was 14. Now, that I am in my early twenties the desire still remains, but I am totally doing it God's way which means not seeking a man, but seeking Jesus.

Let's start with:

Why are you in college? Pause and think about it. Here are some common answers. I am in college because I need the degree to get a good job. I am in college because I want to be a (insert profession here), or I am in college because it's next after high school; It's automatic; my parents told me to pick one and go. Lastly an answer could be they picked me to play a sport and it's free so I am going there.
There are many reasons why one goes to college..
but if one grows up in an affluent Suburb like mine, or comes from a culture like mine, Nigeria, where Education especially higher education is expected, one knows college is the next step after high school. High school graduations are not that esteemed like American's praise it in my culture. Ones doctorate graduation is highly esteemed.

BUT..there is a danger to this question!

If all you know about yourself and your choice to go to college is that it's required of you. College will NOT be the place you should be eager to relax,chill-out, party out and go without a clear purpose and vision for your life.

I am writing this informational because there is an epidemic of inflow of college students who may be entering into college at the wrong times in their lives or may not need to enter college at all.

SO remember what I shared in the beginning of this blog, well I have heard females tell me too, they are in college to find a husband, yes a husband. Forget the degree and career. What this does is the course-work you choose becomes secondary to that first pursuit of a husband or whatever else your motive is in coming to college. You then can ask me, how do you really find your purpose in college? What should your focus be?

1. You need to be Born-Again. Being Born-Again is inviting Jesus into your life and making him your Lord. When you are  born-again the purpose and direction you seek can be effectively communicated to you from God, because you are now a child of his.

2. You need to Pray. I often get asked, how do I pray and what do I pray for. Well prayer is just a conversation between you and God. You are thanking him for what you do have, asking him to continue to help you to be worthy enough to enter his presence; Then you can ask him to help you utilize the gifts he has given you in the best way possible. You ask him what is your  purpose, major, and direction in pursuing a college degree.


Luke 11:9


And I say unto you, Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you.


3. You need to write out the vision you see for yourself. In doing this you need to be in tune with the spirit of God inside of you and the peace you will receive. For example, I want to be a housewife but help  mental health reform so on my vision board I have internships, scholarships, and educational paths I am to go on to get to the location I want to be.

4. You need to weigh the cost financially. Student loans are becoming such a norm in our society. I would encourage you to widely select the colleges you apply to, ranging in cost, seek out as much aid as you can, find a job,  and try not to borrow. You have to see how much college will cost you. Think about it, higher education takes anywhere from 4-11 years depending on your intending profession, but that's still so short compered to the 70 plus years you are going to live on this earth. I desire to stay at home and tend to my husband and children.
I need to make sure the financial costs I bear isn't going to hinder the debt to income ration I will bring into my future marriage.

5. Lastly you need to have a core support system to guide you through the changes emotionally you will be going through in college. Ideally this would be Jesus, biological family, church family, and a mentor. College makes you face a lot of things. Not only academic challenges, but spiritual and physical challenges. Loneliness and peer pressure grows to another level. Temptation is an option daily but much stronger  than one thinks. You must be able to have others around you who can speak into your life,sharpen your iron, and pray.

Sister, Brother, really really think about it, your college years will seem so minuet come 40, 50, 60 years of age. Don't buy into the hype about living and going hard for the college party life. Seek to pursue your education with focus, clarity, and purpose. Jesus seeks to give you that, seek him and you will find him!

Psalms 37:7

Rest in the LORD, and wait patiently for him:



Lets Connect on FacebookTwitterInstagram 

*Please "Like", comment, and share this post if this spoke to you. Subscribe to the right for more.*


From your Sister in Christ with a Servants Heart,

Janet Adeola Songonuga

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments will be approved before posting. Thank you so much for stopping by. May we run this Christian Race till the end. God Bless you!