Contemporary Social Vices: Gospel Rap

  Wednesday, July 17th, 2013

Every Sunday at my church, from about 9:30-10am, we participate in an awesome session called Search the Scriptures. For people familiar with church, other churches refer to it as "Sunday School". Two weeks ago we discussed "Contemporary Social Vices: The Christian View". In short, it exposed and discussed newly devised sets of sins and vicious vices we "new generation" Christians should be careful of.

It was that Sunday and weeks leading up, that God decided and worked in my spirit to give up GOSPEL RAP. One, I have never really listened to rap. I was blessed to be raised in a home that reverenced God and did away with secular music, which means music of the World that doesn’t include the words of God. So when I started deviating from Christen songs on Christian radio stations like Star 99.1,and listening to whoever rapper was out in 2007,2008 it would have to be done out of the house. Luckily in college I didn't have my parents watching when I was bumping to J. Cole and Jay-Z, but God sure was! Anyway, it was never a staple in my life, but because I had listened to it, it had gratified my flesh and those instrumental, beats, along with the words were now planted and sowed seeds into my life. 

Galatians 6:8 reads:
For he that soweth to his flesh shall of the flesh reap corruption; but he that soweth to the Spirit shall of the Spirit reap life everlasting.

Point Blank. Period. Gospel rap and high jumping electrical flesh pulsing music gratifies the flesh. And when the flesh is gratified corruption is reaped and everlasting life through gratifying your spirit is missed.

But then you may ask, but Janet the words in the Gospel Rap songs are holy. They preach the word of God and that speaks to my spirit, so what's wrong with it? Well my sister and brother let me tell you what the word of God says about music. Before then, let’s keep in mind this verse: 

Hebrew  13:8-9
Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever.
 Be not carried about with divers and strange doctrines.

God has direction, advice, and instruction on all things. Music is no different. 

Colossians 3:16 reads:
admonish one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord.

The songs of David, which was being referred to in the Colossians verse above, was spiritual and had a soothing effect. Same with what God wants to do daily in our hearts and spirit. He wants to soothe us, give us peace, comfort us, and not have our minds, bodies, and spirit racing, thumbing, and screaming like music of that effect. Ever think of that?

In heaven Revelation 14:2 reads:
"And I heard a voice from heaven, as a voice of many waters, and as the voice of a great thunder: and I heard the voice of harpers harping with their harps.

If you have read or not read the bible, although I encourage you to, when you think of heaven you think of paradise. In paradise we think of peace and tranquility. Revelation confirms these thoughts and backs them up with other scriptures that describe the eternal home for those who exclusively choose to worship Jesus, heaven. The verse describes the lovely songs that will be there and it is of harps and of peace. Not of Gospel rap because it quote on quote is the cool thing to do, or its quote on quote what appeals to this generation, or whatever inquires want to be given. So to answering the question, can one listen to the Gospel rap because the words may bring glory to God, NO. We no longer as Christians, Born again, do things on our own or do things like the world. We are ruled and choose to have God, through Jesus give us the instructions in doing all things.  Our music is to move away from perversion and return to it's original, inspirational, and edifying context.

So you've realized and identified Gospel Rap, and any other music that has strayed far away from the context God permitted it to be. You realize you want to pursue Jesus but nothing is happening in your life and your heart feels burden..

Sister, brother as you and I are both victims of contemporary vices we need a release. These vices are yokes and like every yoke, they must be broken. To be free from these vices we must avoid them at all cost. You must go before the Lord and ask for repentance and call for the Lord for restoration. To repent to the Lord means returning to the Lord. To return, the Lord implies we have to feel broken and conviction and turn to God to be saved and truly delivered. After deliverance true deliverance sis, you begin to practice the abiding presence of the Lord. Knowing that God is always with you, walking along side of you. Him, alone should be all you need.

Some spiritual filled contemporary alternatives:

David Crowder Band
Mali Music
Hillsong
You can't go wrong with hymns!

If you are interested in reading the Search the Scripture lesson: Contemporary Social Vices: The Christian View (click the title and scroll to pages 93-100)

(Last Saturday at my Church)

Lets Connect on FacebookTwitterInstagram 

From your Sister in Christ with a Servants Heart,
Janet Adeola Songonuga

                 *Please "Like", comment, and share this post if this spoke to you. Subscribe to the right for more.*


6 comments:

  1. Oh wow, this is mind-blowing sis. Thanks for sharing, I can relate to this blog post. I have a similar encounter some years back, I can listen to secular music all day and nothing happened. Although, I am from a Christian home..what I listened to doesn't really affect my parents as long I obey them and go to church and serve in Church.

    However, I had an encounter with God (I did a blog post about it on my blog). Since then, I hardly listen to secular music. However, my struggle is that my siblings still do...so if are going to event together...I had to remember to take my headphones unless I need to come back n renew my mind (inner man)with God after unless the song will be in my head.

    Anyways, I listen to Christian rap...very selective but if it doesn't give Goo glory/Praise I don't listen o. There are many songs (christian written songs) these days, I even sometimes found it difficult to differentiate it from the secular world. May God help us and have mercy on us all.

    **I am sorry if I wrote Epistle to answer u, no vex o :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Although I understand how listening to gospel rap may lead people struggling with certain vices back to inappropriate secular music I disagree that all Christians should refrain from listening to it. For some it's the only form of gospel music that speaks to them and it helps them on their paths to serve Christ. I also don't think that all secular music is bad and that you need only listen to gospel music. There are several artists and songs that are secular but I feel are ok to listen to..i.e Whitney Houston - I will always love you. I also think implying that "high jumping electrical music" doesn't gratify the spirit is false. It's a form of praise and God gets the glory. There are several artists who have "pulsing" music who have moved people i.e. Mary Mary, Kirk Franklin, etc. To single out gospel rap seems judgmental and preferential. It's like saying there is a certain way to pray or a certain way to spread The Word or if you don't speak in tongues you aren't truly saved. There is no one correct way..what works for one may not work for another. We all have our own journey and as Christians it's important that we remain open and refrain from judgment so we can help as many people as possible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for reading and stopping by! My response to listening to secular music as a BORN AGAIN Christian, meaning you now choose to pursue the things of Jesus alone, and.to follow him wholeheartedly is two fold. One, everything you do should be lead by the spirit. This post clearly states why I was lead away from gospel rap,unfortunately for you I am not alone and the spirt doesn't make mistakes. Two, with everything including secular music there is a spirit behind it(Matthew 15:18) behind the music of the world ask yourself who is singing it. With Whitney Houston she recognizes God owned her but she choose to.deviate from his exemples, her songs may decivingly seem nice but don't be fooled.that's what the devil wants to do. Also in response to Mary Mary ,I selectively don't listen to all their songs,I will and was going to post some contemporary artists that my spirt has discerned to be spirt filled. I pray you receive this well. God bless you!

      Delete
    2. I understand that for you listening to high energy gospel music leads you away from our path. However personally that is not my struggle. Listening to positive secular music (although it may sound like an oxymoron) does not hinder m spirit. I am led b Christ and I am a born again Christian. I simply respect everyone's individual path and I do not judge whichever way the choose to praise Him so long as it is genuine and spirit led . We all serve Him differently but equally. I know Christians from all different walks of life who use unconventional methods to serve Christ. For instance,I was on a Christian step team and our form of praise did reach people.

      Delete
  3. Beautifully written, Janet! Rap music was never my "thing" and after I accepted Jesus' proposal of love the holy spirit definitely made it clear that as a Christian, such music ought not to be the way through which to worship God.

    It is amazing how God has overtime broken the cord of interest that I had in the music ministry of certain contemporary Christian artists. Christian /gospel music is supposed to be calm and like you mentioned, soothing.

    Jesus Christ had a gentle, meek, and quiet spirit and ministry; He wasn't loud and rowdy like the way artists and producers of Christian rap and many Christian artists depict through their music! Our lives and certainly the music we listen to should model the very life of Jesus Christ - humility.

    Remember that not everyone that says "Lord, Lord will enter into the Kingdom of God" (Mat 7:21) May we not be deceived! The Holy Spirit definitely guides; may he direct and lead us into all truth in regards to music in Jesus' name!
    God bless,
    -Charity
    Www.modestic-elegance.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

All comments will be approved before posting. Thank you so much for stopping by. May we run this Christian Race till the end. God Bless you!