Healing Hands: A Saturday of Service

Upon being saved, meaning becoming a born again Christian, every believer is immediately given two ministries. One is praying and the other is sharing the gospel, the good news of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ who died for our sins on the cross at Calvary. In the Word of God, the bible, Jesus himself says:

Luke 18:1

 And he spake a parable unto them to this end, that men ought always to pray, and not to faint;

Matthew 28:19-20
 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:
Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the world. Amen.

Evangelism is very important. How else would I have known Jesus came to tell me I no longer had to be boggled down by my past, he has instructions to aid all of us in this life, and the promises he has for us eternally once we die? It was only through someone opening their mouth, hosting an event and telling me about the Gospel. 


I am the leader of Pinky Promise Northern NJ, a group for single and married women who have made a promise to honor God with their entire lives. While single to stay sexually pure till marriage and while married to let their husbands lead their household. God placed in my heart to reach out to minister to this particular Woman's Shelter, the Apostle House in Newark NJ. Without confirming a date with the shelter I made this flyer, emailed them a proposal letter introducing myself and started praying for God to intercede on my behalf.


Yes, without confirming the date with the Shelter I made the flyer in late June. I had been contacting them since early June/late May though. By God's grace the week before July 20th they confirmed it would be ok for us to visit the Woman at the Apostle House and fellowship with them! Prayer works yall!

The demographics of the Apostle House in Newark, NJ encompasses minority woman mostly mothers in their twenties to early thirties. Most have 2 or more small children. The Shelter can hold up to 11 women and their children (both male and female). The quarters are tight but aesthetically pleasing and safely located on the outskirts of Newark.  



My vision for the day was to let the woman there know they are loved by God. To let them know although they might be in their current situation, by having the lord lead their lives they were able to receive a better future. I planned for us all to make cards with scriptures written inside, to remind them of God's love; also to write letters talking to God to affirm God hears them. I also wanted me and other Pinky Promise Girls to share our testimonies and how God really helped us.

So, on July 20th the event was awesome. I was being lead to buy breakfast for the event. I am so glad I did because I was told by the lovely receptionist Jackie, on the weekends, the mothers were on their own in regards to food. The lord always puts the right things in your heart! About eleven residents both women and children joined us. We started with an opening prayer and had about 20 minutes to get and start eating breakfast.



(Ladies and children getting breakfast)


Due to the fact many of the women had their children with them, involving them in arts, crafts and letter writing deemed difficult because they were watching their children. My amazing Pinky Promise Sister Ebony suggested while we make the cards for the residents, we share our testimonies and open up the floor to the residents to share their encounters with God. This was amazing, many of the ladies opened up about their past and how they were lead to the Apostle House. Many like Ameera, a mother of 3 girls were grateful for the Apostle House although they desired to have their own space very soon. Even the children talked freely about their hurts in living in a shelter but reminded us to count our blessings because at least they were alive and well. My sister Bernice Songonuga, whom just got saved by becoming born-again a couple weeks ago, shared amazing scriptures of healing, perseverance, and the strength of the Lord with the ladies. Her testimony was also received very well by the Residents.



(On the far left is PPsister Ebony, some residents at the Apostle House(Marquette,Ameera, Eyicah) , on the far right my Sister Bernice)

(On the far left is PPsister Ebony, some residents at the Apostle House(Marquette,Ameera, Eyicah) , on the far right my Sister Bernice)

The ladies also asked us about certain situations and if the bible and God had answers. Tye, specifically a mother of 2 asked how she could better her relationships with her parents. Gladly we all answered and refereed her to Matthew 10, read it and advised her to forgive any hurt her parents have done to her; build her relationship with God and ask him for more wisdom in relation with her parents.
We ended with individual prayers for every single women. I was blessed to pray for Mary a 60 year old resident at the shelter.
Her prayer request was for her illness to go away. She explained all her family was in Haiti while she started crying. Mary, my sister Bernice, and I prayed, touched and agreed all will be well with her.
 
It reads in 
Luke 4:18
 The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he hath anointed me to preach the gospel to the poor; he hath sent me to heal the brokeenhearted, to preach deliverance to the captives, and recovering of sight to the blind, to set at liberty them that are bruised,

That's exactly what I endeavored to do on July 20, 2013 and for the rest of my life. Join me in gaining the spirit or peace, joy, and love from your creator God. If and when you do have the joy of the lord in your life, endeavor to not only be happy yourself, share the love of God, go out and share his love to those who may have and those who don't.

Also check out this post for a special invitation to an awesome event: DCLM: America's National Convention 2013


(Take 2 with me on the far right)
Lets Connect on FacebookTwitterInstagram 

From your Sister in Christ with a Servants Heart,
Janet Adeola Songonuga

*Please "Like", comment, and share this post if this spoke to you. Subscribe to the right for more.*

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful act of service for the purpose of propagating the Gospel! May the Lord continue to use you to do more of this act! "And how shall they preach, except they be sent? as it is written, How beautiful are the feet of them that preach the gospel of peace, and bring glad tidings of good things!"-Romans 10:15

    God bless,
    -Charity

    ReplyDelete

All comments will be approved before posting. Thank you so much for stopping by. May we run this Christian Race till the end. God Bless you!