So you want to Get Married? (Marriage Committee: What is that?!)

Thursday August 15th, 2013

Ok, so I met this guy. He is really really good looking..Oh God help me he is FYNE. He is Born Again, like he is a genuine Born Again Christian, so you know how I love men of GOD...they are the Leaders of our future home. Ok so he has his bills together, he is educated and so smart! Girl he has everything on my LIST. He loves to work out, eat nice food, pray, plus he is a member of my church! And bonus the conversations are so good! God have mercy, I feel something, I need to start praying, help me pray sis.

PAUSE

This is a typical conversation of many of us Christian Girls when we first meet a guy and some of us even say OH, "I def saw the will of God", "he is my Husband", I mean ok you may have seen the will of God but then you question if he really is the will because based on your feelings ALONE he qualifies.

GIRL SLOW DOWN, SLOW YOUR ROLL. Let's talk a bit:

I totally understand, this has happened to me. Maybe it's even happening to me now lol. Difference is though I am laying my feelings totally at the feet of Jesus are you?

Sis, I understand marriage is a big desire of yours, even though you are pursing the things of Christ wholeheartedly like (Matthew 6:33), you still pray for God to protect your husband till he finds you. Although you may desire marriage, sis it's not to be taken lightly by ANY-MEANS. It's not to be labeled and thrown on any guy that may meet all your checks and check nots. It's not a thing to enter if you haven't gotten certain things done and completed.

So you want to be married? Let me share with you some biblical principles on what you need to do before you should think about marriage and to entertain a guy as more than a church friend or brother in Christ...because if you and this "church brother in Christ" are really enjoying talking and looking at each other, if he says God saw the will of God in marrying  are you ready to drop your entire SINGLE life to marry him, submit to him and really die of your flesh, wants and needs daily?! 


       1. You MUST be a Born Again Christian: 

Galatians 2:20

 I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.

Once you become a  born again Christian you allow God to be your everything. He starts plucking and weeding out the bad in your life and replacing it with the Good. He starts to show you submission you'll need to submit to your husband, as you submit to God's will and commandments. There are things God may show you that your husband may not show you when you get into an argument in courtship and marriage. You must be really in tune with your spirit.  A couple that stays together PRAYS together. Prayer only can be done effectively when you have an intimate relationship with Jesus Christ. 

       2. You must be be able to hear God's voice:

John 5:30

 I can of mine own self do nothing: as I hear, I judge: and my judgment is just; because I seek not mine own will, but the will of the Father which hath sent me.

Now we are living for Jesus, our old life is done away with and now we are new creatures. We must now understand, nothing including mere friendship, courting and marriage must not be done without Gods consent. You have to be able to clearly hear from God. I am not saying look for a thunderstorm a burning bush, or something real DRAMATIC to know it's God. God simply works in subtle ways. Not having peace when God is the king of peace is a sign something is not right and needs to be looked into. Whatever God has used in your life to show you something, God can and will use that. Just remember though, God asks you to listen and obey him in little things before he will trust you with bigger things.

       3. GET your education and purpose as a SINGLE person right:

Proverbs 31: 13
 She seeketh wool, and flax, and worketh willingly with her hands.
Proverbs 31:24 
She maketh fine linen, and selleth it; and delivereth girdles unto the merchant.

Listen this was me; I knew I wanted to finish college before marrying. But I am thinking ok I can meet my husband now in college and then by the time I finish college, we'll have courted gotten to know each other and marry. THIS IS not entirely wrong but ladies you need to understand God does not encourage a long courtship period, examples of people dating for 5,6 years before marrying  may be done because of unforeseen circumstances. Courtship, getting to know each other is done with the intention of marrying soon because you are working towards it. Sexual temptation will come and it's REAL. Look at the world now, so many people lose their virginity before High School! So in saying that to be an increase not a deficit but an asset to your marriage you must endeavor to finish part of education before entertaining a guy. You must understand what God has called you to do in your single life besides pursuing motherhood and tending a lovely home when married. FORGET that marriage where one spouse dropped his schooling because God called him to preach. Forget that example of that wife that dropped out of college and now is blessed to be a stay at home wife. Those people had their own calling on their lives. You are different. Understand God wants the best for you, to be a proverbs 31 woman, a woman who uses her hands to work and makes wealth, you do just that and finish your education. If you are no where near complete with school, sis your boy of interest and person you most contact should be JESUS CHRIST ONLY.

Those are the three critical things you really need to ask yourself sis. Have you done all 3? If so, do you feel ready for God to bring your husband to you? If so, you may then meet someone that God ministers to you and matches God's will for you, then God knew the time is perfect. Go ahead and start courtship to lead into marriage;  Then start to share you heart and intimate moments with him. Start to pray, do bible study, and talk about the future together. I want to share with you this really awesome process my Church uses to help guide you once you may have found the will of marriage for you. It's called the Marriage Committee. 

So basically you don't come to the marriage committee when this person has proposed to you and you already skipped the intent of this committee. This committee helps you, by praying with you about the will of God, God has revealed to you in your private prayer. Once you hear God minister to you about a person, feelings spiritually and not only physical have been birthed you approach the marriage committee at my church and they start to pray with you! They intercede to God on your behalf because, listen SIS marriage is FOR LIFE, so prayers from righteous people are important! Once the marriage committee has also confirmed with you he is the one, they let the pastor know and he also prays.The committee discourages brother and sister relations before the marriage committee process is over. Listen at this point sis, if that man is for you, what God has for you will be for you, so don't fear if the committee or Pastor say no. After all these confirmations they approach the guy and let him know the will of God for him concerning you, and then he also prays about it. I have heard many stories in which the Guy also heard Gods will for you sis. So truly when you do things GOD's way, God will truly bless you!

Sister rest in Jesus. Cherish your single years. Have your butterflies and heart flutters come from Jesus. Your husband in Christ will find you without all the temporary theatrics the world uses. 

Psalm 37:7

 Rest in the Lord, and wait patiently for him: 


(Me street evangelizing this past Wednesday!)

From your Sister in Christ with a Servants Heart,

Janet Adeola Songonuga

*Please "Like", comment, and share this post if this spoke to you. Subscribe to the right for more.*

9 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. God bless you sis! <3 More to come on other things we can do to help us cultivate ourselves for marriage. Please Subscribe to my blog to get all my latest blog posts. :)

      Delete
  2. Thanks for sharing, great post! May God continue to bless you and give you more inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank God Sis. You are welcome!!!!!! Please Subscribe to my blog to get all my latest blog posts. :)

      Delete
    2. I definitely agree with 'maryblush', hi Jummy :-)
      This is an awesome post indeed! More wisdom, insight and revelation to you, sis Janet!
      God bless,
      - Charity

      Delete
  3. thanks for sharing your thoughts and I must say I agree with a lot of what you are saying. However, I do not agree with everything. In particular #3 on this list. Although I personally feel like getting an education is important I think this is too broad of a statement because there are several different forms of education.. you can have a doctorate degree and still be dumb or naive in several ways. Also, to imply that one can not be fully satisfied or fulfilled as a housewife is misleading. Several women feel that is what the were called to do. Similarly to those were have been led from a formal degree and into ministry or something else. If God calls one to do something he or she must. Lastly I do not think there are statue of limitations courting. Every couple is different and although the will be tempted as long as God remains their center He will guide them through regardless if it takes 6 years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, I actually encourage women to be a mother in the home as a housewife, I want to be one no matter what career aspiration, family comes first. SO I am all for housewives and yes it is a big role and can be fulfilling. And amen there are different courtships but you shouldn't compare yourself to them, just know in the BIBLE God never took 6 years to bring who he had for a woman especially if they were in close proximity to each other :) Also it's great if people are called into ministry, but again you dont want to just follow those examples. You want to make yourself the best wife you can be till your husband proposes :) Thank you so much for stopping by. God bless you

      Delete
  4. Do u seriously think you have to ask God b4 having friends?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, thank you so much for stopping by my blog <3 I apologize for not seeing this comment and not responding earlier. Well why do you ask God for help when you need it? If you are able to ask God in time of need, he is also interested in everything that concerns your life since he gave you life. So he is looking for you to consult him especially in someone you plan on marrying :)
      Philippians 4:6
      Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God.

      Delete

All comments will be approved before posting. Thank you so much for stopping by. May we run this Christian Race till the end. God Bless you!