Secular JOB and Christianity


Tuesday October 1st , 2013


Over the summer, this past summer to be exact. God really worked on my heart and taught me a lot on being a Christian Woman. Not a regular woman, and definitely not a woman the world wants you to be, which is to only climb the corporate ladder, but  a christian woman, descriptions you can find in Titus 2, Proverbs 31, 1st Timothy 2, Genesis 3 and 1st Peter. In a nut shell, I was told to be a help meet to my husband, meaning helping and making sure God's plans for his life are fulfilled, I was to be a keeper of the home; teaching my children in the way they should go, nurture, care, tend to my husband and kids. So in reading all this I was like him why am I getting a degree! My desire to get a job decreased, and my desire to be a wife and a mother increased! Then I asked how am I going to serve God in the workplace?! Because I understood to really help my husband is to make my share of income, utilize my skills to help others and produce profit, and in case he lost his job I can jump in and work with a degree. I also understood as a Christian I am to populate and spread the gospel in every area of this world, including the workplace where God has revealed for me to go. :)

I also got asked this questions from others. How do I glorify God in the secular workplace? Especially in America where there is a law separating church and state. I am here to tell you, if you are pondering this question, your secular job is GOD's very own and it is a Ministry! 

God placed you in that job for a reason, and a purpose. You might not be able to be like John the Baptist in the wilderness yelling, "REPENT THE KINGDOM OF GOD IS NEAR", but your lifestyle can speak volumes. In corporate America,after work there is happy hour. You as a Christian can abstain from drinking and going to happy hour, and in doing that your co-workers will ask you why. That moment is a great way to share and open up about the Gospel our lord Jesus Christ. 

Why do we feel that things not innately religious can't be used for God's glory. Everything is made by God first, even if it was changed into something not so good. If you believe God gave you that job, then you best believe he wanted you to create change. Some other practical ways you can shine God's light through you confidently, and not feel your job and your identity are different:


  • Placing a swear jar on your desk. This will work if you are in an office setting. Encourage your co-workers to use respectful language by incentive. If they curse in your vicinity they put some money in the jar. It's a fun way and people clearly will read your zeal for God.
  • Asking your co-workers how they are doing. During lunch time, if you know you have cultivated a little relationship with a co-worker, take the initiative to ask them to lunch with you. At lunch, ask them how they are. It may take one or two lunches but through prayer and being sensitive to the holy spirit, God will drop it in your heart to open up conversation to share Jesus. 
  • Do not be ASHAMED.I currently intern at a congressman's office. My bible is the first thing I make sure,is in the proper place.I leave my bible on my desk. I would encourage you to do the same. If and when you turn on soft music, put on your gospel. Make your office space a place of peace and serenity. Co-workers will feel God's spirit upon you and gravitate to you.


2 Timothy 2:15

Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.
  • Lastly, your life is an example! As a Christian we carry the spirit of excellence. Performing your best at work is very important. Because as a child of God you are always being watched, and God naturally calls you out, as he did Daniel in the bible. Daniel 6:3 Then this Daniel was preferred above the presidents and princes, because an excellent spirit was in him; and the king thought to set him over the whole realm. So as Christians we must be punctual; and get tasks done in a timely manner. Be courteous, show respectful manners. When people see you set apart, and pleasing to be around they will be more apt to have you share the gospel and by God's grace receive him into their lives too.
Lecrae explained this beautifully at one of Liberty University's convocation. Watch, pray, and let your light shine in your workplace ministry! <3



Lets Connect on FacebookTwitterInstagram 

From your Sister in Christ with a Servants Heart,
Janet Adeola Songonuga

*Please "Like", comment, and share this post if this spoke to you. Subscribe to the right for more.*

(WITH HEATHER LINDSEY FOUNDER OF PINKY PROMISE MOVEMENT AT M.O.C'S SINGLE AND MARRIED CONFERENCE )





2 comments:

  1. Janet,
    This is a great post! The "swear jar"? I had never heard of that, but great idea! Question though: where does the money in the swear jar go?

    God bless,
    -Charity

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Charity. You can give it to the church, or put it back into your workplace. I would say pray for discernment on where the money should go. Our Sister Amaka, here in New Jersey has one on her desk at work :) So you can ask her.Love you <3

    ReplyDelete

All comments will be approved before posting. Thank you so much for stopping by. May we run this Christian Race till the end. God Bless you!